Travel Packing Checklist For Babies
Travel packing checklist is an excellent idea when travelling with young baby. Not only because you might be sleep deprived and likely to forget necessary items, but because babies do not "travel light".
Baby travel checklist
Helps you to pack all the things your baby needs
Despite sleeping most of the time, babies need amazing amount of “stuff” with them when travelling.
There are many baby travels products available that can make travelling with baby easier... but that means even more luggage. There are just so many things to forget when travelling with baby. Our baby travel packing checklist will help you.
Babies are very adaptable so after three months of age they tend to be excellent travelers. The better you prepare in advance will however make your journey easier and more enjoyable and vacation packing lists plays an important role in your travel preparation.
When flying with babies, you must make sure you have easy access to everything your baby might need during the flight, i.e. nappies, food, spare clothes, toys, etc. What you pack in your cabin luggage is therefore very important but you must do it according to your airline carry on luggage rules.
Airline carry on luggage rules vary greatly so always check them well in advance.
Your Baby Travel Packing Checklist
We at Top Travel Tips have put together a travel packing checklist for young babies. You can download it and print your baby travel packing checklist by clicking on the download button below.
You can also find vacation packing lists for other family members on our Top Travel Tips website.
Make sure all your travel documents are in order and that your insurance policy provides adequate cover for your baby. When flying with babies, they usually travel free or at nominal cost but make sure in advance that your travel tickets and passport includes your baby's details correctly.
- Travel tickets
- Passport and visa (if applicable)
- Medical card
- Your Travel Insurance Policy
- International vaccination card (if applicable)
- Photocopy of all travel documents
- Copy of doctor's prescriptions (if applicable)
- Medical history / list of all medicines your baby is taking (if applicable)
- Your doctors (at home) phone number (in case of emergencies)
- Emergency contact information (at your destination)
Benefits Of Packing Cubes
Packing Cubes help you to stay organized and allow you to fit more into your bag and keep our belongings more secure.
Our Packing Cubes Review is based on our personal experience.
When flying with babies, you must make sure you have easy access to everything your baby might need during the flight. Everything you pack in your cabin luggage must be in line with your airline carry on luggage rules, so do check them well in advance.
It is easier to get to your main luggage on car journeys but it still makes perfect sense to pack what you need while travelling in a separate carry on bag.
The travel packing checklist for babies recommends the following items in your carry on bag:
- Child safety seat (always on car journey but also recommended when flying with babies)
- Nappies (one for each hour you expect to be travelling, plus few extra in case of delays or emergencies)
- Nappy cream
- Fold up or disposable changing map
- Wipes (for your baby)
- Antibacterial hand wipes (for you)
- Re-sealable plastic bags (for dirty nappies, clothes, etc)
- Blanket (to lay your baby on, to cover your baby if cold, to cover yourself if you are nursing, etc)
- Spare baby clothes (you might even want to add spare t-shirt for you)
- Baby food (if not breastfeeding)
- Portable baby food warmer (you can also ask the stewardess to heat it for you)
- Pre-sterilized bottles
- Pacifier (and put a spare one in your check in luggage)
- Age appropriate toys for babies (something colorful with sound to distract them when awake)
- Your baby medication if your baby needs them while travelling, just make sure you are not breaking your airlines carry on luggage rules
Top Travel Tips
It is important that you do not forget yourself when flying with babies, especially if you are still breastfeeding. You must make sure you also have enough to drink and nibble on while travelling.
You are unlikely to be travelling with cabin luggage only when flying with babies. You are more likely to be packing a suitcase full of all kinds of "stuff", like:
- Additional supplies of the items you have in your cabin luggage, i.e. exta nappies, plastic bags, wipes, etc.
- Baby food supplies and appropriate utensils, e.g. bottles, bowl, beaker, spoon, etc.
- Portable sterilizer
- Breast pump (if you need one)
- Appropriate clothes for your travel destination climate (one to two outfits a day is a good guideline)
- Baby socks, shoes and underwear
- Sun hat and sunblock (SPF 30 or higher)
- Swimwear (UV protected) and swim nappies
- More baby toys and spare pacifier
- Baby toiletries, i.e. creams, soap, cotton pads, etc.
- Inflatable baby bathtub
- Travel cot (you can check beforehand if your accommodation can provide you with one)
- Baby carrier / sling (excellent to keep you baby close in crowded places like airports, at the same time as leaving your hands free for wheeling your luggage, etc.)
- Lightweight collapsible stroller with parasol
- Listening monitor
- Nightlight (for night time feeds and the middle of the night diaper changing)
First Aid Kit For Babies
You should always travel with First Aid Kit. We hope that you will never have to use it, but if you do... it could literally save your baby's life. There are few things you should consider adding to your family first aid kit when travelling with a baby:
- Baby paracetamol / ibuprofen
- Digital thermometer
- Teething gel (if applicable)
- Other OTC medicine you normally use when your baby is poorly, e.g. calamine lotion, antihistamine cream, lavender oil, baby cough medicine, etc.
Our baby travel packing checklist is for guidance only - you should add and delete items as applicable for your trip and your baby's needs.
For your convenience, you can download and print our baby travel packing checklist by clicking the download button below. You can also find vacation packing lists for other family members at Top Travel Tips.
Do not forget to check our practical Baby Travel Tips and advice when flying with babies.
Top Baby Travel Packing Checklist Tips
It can be very convenient to pack each baby outfit in its own plastic bag so you do not have to search every time for tiny shirts and socks.